martes, noviembre 28, 2006

The synagogue - La sinagoga

Doing restoration work in the Hurva synagogue in Jerusalem's Old City the archeologists found an arch from the Byzantine era. The synagogue was the prettiest in Israel.

The courtyard was purchased 306 years ago by Rabbi Yehuda he-Hasid (Segal), who arrived from Poland with 300 of his students. It sat adjacent to the Ramban Synagogue, built some 430 years earlier and was closed by the Ottomans in 1589. The Ashkenazi community in the Old City numbered a mere few hundred people in those days and Rabbi Yehuda he-Hasid and his students' coming caused much commotion. He died five days later.



His followers began building a yeshiva and synagogue in the courtyard, but the construction was not completed. The Jews were late returning the loan to the Arabs for the project and in 1721 the Arabs burned the uncompleted synagogue and the 40 Torah books it housed. The site remained desolate for 140 years, thus acquiring the name "hurva" (the wreck). A new synagogue was built there by the disciples of the Vilna Gaon in 1864.


The Hurva then became the most splendid synagogue in Israel and hosted important Jewish events until the 1930s. Two days after conquering the quarter in 1948, the Jordanians bombed the synagogue and the Jordanian commander reported to headquarters: "For the first time in 1,000 years not a single Jew remains in the Jewish Quarter. Not a single building remains intact. This makes the Jews' return here impossible."

Haaretz, November, 28th, 2006.



The Jordans desecrated the Jewish cemetery of Mount of Olives, breaking the tombstones and using the stones (on purpose) as stepping stones in the way to the soldiers's latrines. Besides, they destroyed the 57 synagogues of the Old City.



Well, not only we came back 20 years later, but we showed them who's their daddy.




Renovando la sinagoga Hurvá en la Ciudad Vieja de Jerusalén encontraron un arco de la época bizantina. La sinagoga era la más bonita de Israel.

El patio (donde la sinagoga fue construida) fue comprado hace 306 años por el Rabbi Yehuda He-Hasid (Segal) que llegó de Polonia con 300 de sus estudiantes [otro ejemplo de sionismo antes del movimiento sionista]. Estaba adyacente a la sinagoga Ramban, construida 430 años antes y clausurada por los Otomanos en 1589. La comunidad azkenazí en la Ciudad Vieja contaba sólo con unos pocos cientos de personas en esos días y la llegada del Rabbi Yehuda He-Hasid causó mucha conmoción. Murió cinco días después.



Sus seguidores comenzaron a construir la sinagoga y la yeshivá (centro de estudios) en el patio, pero la construcción no fue terminada. Los judíos se atrasaron en el pago del préstamo a los árabes por el proyecto y en 1721 los árabes quemaron la sinagoga incompleta y los 40 libros de la torá que contenía. [¡para que después nos acusen a nosotros de usureros!] El sitio permaneció desolado por 140 años, adquiriendo por eso el nombre de "hurvá" (la ruina). Una nueva sinagoga fue construida allí por los discípulos del Sabio de Vilna en 1864 [otro sionista pre-sionismo].



La Hurvá se convirtió entonces en la sinagoga más espléndida de Israel y acogió importantes eventos judíos hasta los años 30s. Dos días después de conquistar el Cuarto Judío [de la Ciudad Vieja] en 1948, los jordanos bombardearon la sinagoga y el comandante jordano reportó a su cuartel general: "Por primera vez en 1000 años no queda ni un sólo judío en el Cuarto Judío. No queda ni un sólo edificio intacto. Esto hace que sea imposible que los judíos vuelvan."

Haaretz, 28 de noviembre de 2006.



Los jordanos se ocuparon de desecrar el cementerio judío del Monte de los Olivos, rompiendo las tumbas y usando las piedras (a propósito) como lozas en el camino hacia los baños de los soldados.



Bueno, no sólo volvimos veinte años después, sino que les dimos pa´ que tengan.